\n\n

Top-ranked Jannik Sinner withdraws from US Open with right knee injury: 'Sad and disappointed'

Tennis will be without one of its biggest stars at the U.S. Open.

World No. 1 Jannik Sinner announced on Friday that he is withdrawing from tennis’ final Grand Slam of the year with a right knee injury.

“Even though I have been working hard with my team and my medical staff, we have now had to make the difficult decision that I will not be able to compete at the US Open this year,” Sinner wrote in a post on X.

ZERO BS. JUST DAKICH. TAKE THE DON’T @ ME PODCAST ON THE ROAD. DOWNLOAD NOW!

“We have been back on court in Monte Carlo over the last couple of days and have realized that I still need more time to recover from my right knee issue. I’m obviously very sad and disappointed, as New York has a special place in my heart. I was very much looking forward to coming back and playing in the electric atmosphere in front of the great fans there.”

Sinner defeated Alexander Zverev to win Wimbledon last month, but has not played since. He pulled out of tournaments in Montreal and Cincinnati, both hard-court tournaments that serve as warm-ups to the U.S. Open.

SIGN UP TO GET THE LATEST SPORTS NEWS

The 25-year-old Italian won the U.S. Open in 2024 and reached the final last year before losing to Carlos Alcaraz.

Sinner is in the midst of a dominant year, as he is 44-3 with six titles in 2026. He had a stunning collapse at the French Open, blowing a two-set lead while struggling in the heat in his second-round match against Juan Manuel Cerundolo. He then sat out until Wimbledon, where his victory gave him five Grand Slam titles.

It will be the first time Sinner has missed a Grand Slam tournament since making his major debut at the U.S. Open in 2019.

While Sinner is out, U.S. Open fans will still be treated to the return of Carlos Alcaraz, who has been out since April with a right wrist injury. Alcaraz announced his return on social media Thursday.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Related Posts

Trump says loyalist Ed Martin to leave the DOJ to focus on election-related legal battles

Trump loyalist Ed Martin, a “Stop the Steal” organizer and advocate and attorney for Jan. 6 defendants, who later served in the Justice Department, is leaving the administration to focus…

Trump says loyalist Ed Martin to leave the DOJ to focus on election-related legal battles

Trump loyalist Ed Martin, a “Stop the Steal” organizer and advocate and attorney for Jan. 6 defendants, who later served in the Justice Department, is leaving the administration to focus…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

Family of five-year-old Hind Rajab reacts to Israel admitting it fired on vehicle carrying her

Family of five-year-old Hind Rajab reacts to Israel admitting it fired on vehicle carrying her

Lindsay Clancy trial resumes with defense testimony as it nears closings | full video

Lindsay Clancy trial resumes with defense testimony as it nears closings | full video

Watch: Severe storms slam the Northeast

Watch: Severe storms slam the Northeast

Man who took final photo of Tupac testifies about lead-up to murder

Man who took final photo of Tupac testifies about lead-up to murder

USS Lincoln leaves Middle East after 9-month deployment as Trump ramps up economic pressure on Iran

USS Lincoln leaves Middle East after 9-month deployment as Trump ramps up economic pressure on Iran

What to know as Lindsay Clancy trial nears closing arguments

What to know as Lindsay Clancy trial nears closing arguments